Total Votes : 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Touched by Putin
The Apple Tree Competition

Onesimus

Touched by Putin
Touched by Putin
To All members of the underground!
I would like to hold an official competition between the members of Gameface101.
On this thread every week I will post a general logic/ knowledge question.
For one week all participants will have a chance to discus and argue their opinions bellow.
Once you have made up you'r mind post "ANSWER: 'place final answer here.'" (please be specific)
The people with the correct answer will receive credit. For actively discussing you will also receive credit. You could always use Google but that ruins the fun Smile
At the end of the week I will post the answer, and a tally of everyone's credit rating.
Every three weeks I will send the user with the most credit $10AU worth of game credit
(RP, or any other such game credits)

If you have any Questions please ask. Also please vote in the poll as to whether I should run this competition? If you have suggestions post below Smile

!!!Post Segment of FAME!!!
(Past Competition winners that have shown an acute and up to date knowledge of science trivia)

-MotionM
-Mr_wiggles

Last Tri-week comp WINNER: MotionM
This Tri-week comp winner: Mr_wiggles

Tally:

MotionM: 0cr
Mr wiggles: 1cr For Discussion
BluE: 3cr Best Answer
GameFace: 2cr Correct Answer
BlizzardVet: 0cr

Announcement
Unfortunately the prize money scheme will have to stop for some time.

Question for This Week:
Why do two objects with the same shape and size but different weight hit the ground at the same time if dropped from the same height? An example would be dropping two different weighted bowling balls from 5 metres.

!!!This will be edited every week with the new question a tally of your CR!!!
Touched by Putin
signature

On Gameface nobody can hear you scream.

That function is still in development.
Touched by Putin
MotionM Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 18/3/2012, 7:08 am
Answer: Yes water can freeze in space because sole temperature of whether or not how close the sun is to the spot of the water would freeze or dissolve the water. Some planets have gravity, some do not. Some planets have frozen water, some do not. Some can actually even keep the water a liquid because of some gas that the planet uses to keep movement through the water (like an ocean).
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 18/3/2012, 1:27 pm
Answer: 'The vacuum wouldn't have any effect weather or not it would freeze because there isn't one. There is not really a "vacuum" in space. The shuttles are pressurized, and space is no pressure. So this is what lead to a so called "vacuum" in space.

Getting at is that with out gravity the water would not hold to gather. Water actually has a unique property that it likes to clump together. This allows it to flow up against a force of gravity to move to a lower source. Also im sure you've seen videos with astronauts playing with water in the spaceship.

In a source of light from a sun space is 200 degrees and in its shadow -200 degrees. It would also strongly depend on your location in space, and distance from a source of heat. (agreeing with M).

Also ice already exist in space in forums called comet.'
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 18/3/2012, 2:22 pm
._.
What Wiggles said... ^_^
Water still freezes in a low pressure environment. Also depend on the location (like M said). Dark side of the moon is pretty cold.
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 25/3/2012, 4:15 am
Answer: Pressure vacuum will cause the water to boil almost instantly. In other words, the effect of boiling is much, much faster than the effect of freezing.

Once the water has boiled, isolated water molecules in a gaseous state, are in a very cold environment These tiny water vapor droplets now immediately freeze and become ice crystals.

@M Best answer, Cosmic radiation is every were regardless of a suns proximity, its concentrations do differ, water would boil faster from the lack of pressure rather than radiation. Good Work regardless:)
@Mr_Wiggles: Water only clumps in high pressure (space ships are pressurised) Also water formed on comets when they were not flying around in outer space so that is arguable...
@BluE: Try write something more detailed Smile

Tally For This Week!
M: 3cr For correct answer + Best explanation
Mr Wiggles: 2cr For correct answer
BluE: 2cr For correct answer

Question for this week

Theoretically If you were travelling at the speed if light (say in a futuristic monorail) and looked at a mirror would you be able to see your reflection in that mirror? Keep in mind the principal of relativity, that is if you are travelling at a constant velocity that that the laws of physics apply in the same way in every point of reference. so you would have the same laws of physics on a plane,as some one standing next to it as it takes off. ( Trying to give hints without giving any thing away...Shhh...)

Please discuss bellow and leave you final anwser with a detailed explanation. Wink
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 25/3/2012, 4:17 am
Just quickly... I'm still not shore how the above 'Press Your Luck' thing works. I have read the thread, however it doesn't make sense to me...
MotionM Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 25/3/2012, 5:15 pm
I honestly don't have an answer to this. Haha. ^^
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 25/3/2012, 5:47 pm
If you were travelling at the speed of light(or faster), you would not be able to see your reflection because the reflection is too slow for you to see.(?)
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 25/3/2012, 5:48 pm
@M you don't have to post the answer strait away you can post an opinion regardless if its right or wrong. That way you can nudge each other at the right answer. + you get credit for discussing.
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 26/3/2012, 9:45 am
Well, i take it the mirror is on the "monorail" with you looking at it. Well all the contents in the vehicle would be moving at the same speed including the light in side. So i guess you would be able to.
BliZZvET Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 26/3/2012, 4:00 pm
I agree with mr_wiggles since you are traveling at the speed of light and lets say that the mirror is traveling in the same monorail as you, BUT if there was a another futuristic monorail heading in the "opposite" direction, you would be theoretically moving faster than the speed of light, relative to the you and the other monorail moving in the "opposite" direction. Then I would say that the photons that are traveling at the speed of light, would not be traveling at a fast enough speed the hit the opposite monorail, so conclusively you would not see your reflection in the other monorail, BUT you would see your own reflection in the monorail you are in. Smile
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 28/3/2012, 1:01 pm
Yea, Thanatos5914 brings up a good point, where is the location of the mirror?
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 28/3/2012, 1:51 pm
Thanatos5914 wrote:I agree with mr_wiggles since you are traveling at the speed of light and lets say that the mirror is traveling in the same monorail as you, BUT if there was a another futuristic monorail heading in the "opposite" direction, you would be theoretically moving faster than the speed of light, relative to the you and the other monorail moving in the "opposite" direction. Then I would say that the photons that are traveling at the speed of light, would not be traveling at a fast enough speed the hit the opposite monorail, so conclusively you would not see your reflection in the other monorail, BUT you would see your own reflection in the monorail you are in. Smile
T-T
I'll come up with an answer like that when I have physics classes next semester. CHEAT! :p
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 28/3/2012, 3:29 pm
The mirror is in the monorail you are on. Just to clarify.
BliZZvET Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 28/3/2012, 4:18 pm
Yeah, but basically you cant see your reflection in the opposite monorail. Smile
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 28/3/2012, 11:55 pm
Guys Announcement!

I will be away till the 6th so here is a bonus question to keep you occupied. It will not count toward the competition since there is no right or wrong answer. I will tally up the results and post another question when I get back.

Question

If there were portals that sent you back in time, that were stable, and you went back and shot through the portal your past self (who invented and opened the portal in the first place). What would happen?
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 29/3/2012, 12:18 pm

If there were portals that sent you back in time, that were stable, and you went back and shot through the portal your past self (who invented and opened the portal in the first place). What would happen?

to clarify your question.. I, being the person that created the portal, has a gun and shoots through the portal of time. The bullet then exits through the portal in the past and happens to hit me.

So.. it would be kinda like "sweet i finished the time machine, now lets turn it on!" *flips switch and then a bullet flies out and kills me*

I know that this is a question to test our thinking abilities but i just cant get past the fact that i made a time machine and the first thing i do is shoot a gun at it to see what happens and then end up accidentally killing my past self. :p lol

Well i guess one would look at it in this way, that if i died before i was able to live long enough into the future to kill myself, that i wouldn't be able to kill myself because i already did kill myself.

[Answer]
BUT you didn't specify how i died. So lets say that i was working on the machine and i turn it on and i got shot by a bullet that flew out of the machine randomly, bleeding badly and confused i grab a gun and return fire, which causes the bullet to travel back in time and hit me in the first place. I then bleed out and die.
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 29/3/2012, 2:22 pm
If I did shoot myself through the time portal and I died, I would create a paradox. I kill myself in the past, but then I can't fire the shot in the future. Perhaps quantum physics would kick in and I would or wouldn't be dead.
In the event that I shoot myself and I don't die, my future self would suddenly have a memory of being hit by some rando bullet from the time machine and then going "Ahhh!" when I realise I shot myself.
What is also possible is I travel through time again (so there are 3 of me) and stop myself from shooting myself.
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 29/3/2012, 2:43 pm
Yea, but say that due to the shock of getting shot seemingly "random" would you be able to make the connection that you shot yourself and not that your shooting into a portal without a clue that your shooting yourself?

To set the scenario say your deeply involved with your work, making great progress. Suddenly that trans is broken by bullets whizzing by and one happens to hit you. Frightened that something is trying to kill you you try to defend yourself and shoot back. Perhaps afterwards while you lay bleeding on the floor questioning the current events you "might" realize that it was you shooting back in time. The memory of doing that wont apply to your past self because the memory that was created exists in the future.

If your helpless on the ground how do you go back?

[edit] I see, the question never said if you died or not.
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 6/4/2012, 11:57 pm
Now that I'm back here is this weeks tally + Question!

Answer: If you could see your reflection, it would mean light was travelling at the speed of light inside the train. But that meant the same light observed from outside the train would be going twice the speed of light. You must see your reflection but that light must travel at the same speed inside and outside the train. The only way this is possible is if time travelled slower on the train. So if we were travelling at the speed of light the time on the train would stop. And for some one outside the train to see the reflection the train would have to contract in the direction it is moving. Meaning the length of the train will become zero and our mass would become infinite.

If you don it get it here is a neat video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKFBaaL4uM&feature=channel

Tally

M: 3cr + 0cr
Mr Wiggles: 2cr + 2cr for correct anwser.
BluE: 2cr + 1cr for discussion
Thanatos:3cr For best answer

!!! QUESTION FOR THE WEEK !!!

A red liquid is pored into hole at the top a 0.5m by 0.5m box. A blue liquid pores out of a nozzle located in the centre of the side of the box that is facing you. There fore when the red liquid is pored in blue liquid almost instantly pores out.
How does this work? Find the simplest way for this process to happen and post below.
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 15/4/2012, 9:31 pm
Answer: Displacement, when you pore red liquid in in goes into a fixed plastic bag. The red liquid then displaces the Blue liquid making it pore out the nozzle.

Tally:

M: 3cr
Mr Wiggles: 4cr
BluE: 3cr
Thanatos:3cr

QUESTION FOR THIS WEEK

Where do trees receive their mass from?
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 15/4/2012, 11:04 pm
Uh...cells splitting that make the trunk of the tree. The cells on the outside die and make bark..? So..photosynthesis > energy > cells split > more mass
MotionM Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 16/4/2012, 8:45 pm
Trees recieve their mass from cells inside of the tree.
Blue has the right idea. Very Happy
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 16/4/2012, 11:39 pm
Let me clarify: Were does the tree receive the matter from that allows it to have cells?
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 17/4/2012, 12:32 am
Well...the seed is given nutrition from the fruit of the tree and then starts dividing....?
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 17/4/2012, 1:04 am
The cells when dividing cant just create matter out of no where. My final suggestion. Wink
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 17/4/2012, 1:27 pm
the trees absorb nitrogen from the soil and i guess threw photosynthesis <-(wow i spelled that right? lol, according to firefox i did. o.O) the tree is able to convert the nitrogen into cells to make "mass".
swoop Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 17/4/2012, 2:53 pm
from my left over beer Smile
BliZZvET Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 17/4/2012, 3:05 pm
I would think that most it comes from the carbon dioxide from the air or something else in the air. Because air seems the most abundant source of matter that would be available. Laughing
MotionM Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 17/4/2012, 3:32 pm
Soil, photosynthesis, carbon from the air.
Cellulose, which is inside the wood absorbs it.
Also, from water.
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 18/4/2012, 3:35 pm
Ok guys I will be counting up your credits tomorrow, then I'll announce the winner. The winner will be pm'ed and they will pick the game credit of their choice. (The tally will be done early so I have time to get the prize)
This competition, will continue.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 19/4/2012, 5:19 pm
isnt cellulose the name of the primary cell wall in green plants? Also its the name of this dusty insulation i work with once in a while at my job. (ground up news paper witha fancy name :p)
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 2:22 am
Yeah I think it's cellulose, unless it's cellulite witch I'm pretty sure is thigh fat on girls...
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 2:45 am
Answer: 90% of mass in a tree is carbon dioxide, (re-construct, however the original source is CO2)the remaining 10% is made up from water and other minor things (minerals)

Tally:

M: 3cr +1+3 =7cr !!! Your The Winner!!!
Mr Wiggles: 4cr +1 =5cr
BluE: 3cr +1 +1 =5cr
BlizzardVet:3cr + 2cr =5cr
swoop: sorry I'm guessing that is a joke, unfortunately I don't always get english humour...

QUESTION FOR THIS WEEK

If someone shot a bullet (parallel to the ground) at the same time that some one dropped a bullet from the same hight [As bullet A that's shot from the gun] would both bullet A and bullet B hit the ground at the same time?
MotionM Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 1:34 pm
No. The force of the hammer on the A gun as it shoots sends more force than the B gun bullet that is dropped that has no force factor besides gravity affecting it.
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 2:36 pm
No, for the exact same reasons that M has stated above...? Though it's actually the gas released from the gun that propels the bullet, not the hammer. The hammer hits the primer which sparks the gunpowder that asplodes.
Also, when you drop something, it has a bit of hang time before gravity affects it.
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 3:20 pm
yes, in theory they would, because of the force of gravity.
MotionM Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 5:13 pm
@Blue, Yeah you're right. Razz But you know what I meant lol

@Gemini: But wouldn't the one from the gun have more force added or would they all equal out eventually?

@Onesimus: Is there any distance involved?
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 5:58 pm
....that's wiggles....not gemini....
@wiggles; If I threw something at the ground, wouldn't it hit the ground faster because of the added force..?
MotionM Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 6:11 pm
Sorry. D:
I've been talking to Gemini more than Wiggles. Plus Gemini's green and Wiggles Green got me confused.
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 20/4/2012, 7:26 pm
@MotionM The distance involved is that the bullet shot from the gun is shot and gradually descends to the ground, where as the bullet dropped reaches its terminal velocity, falling directly to the ground. However the speed of the bullet being shot is greater than terminal velocity. That's about all I can say. Very Happy
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 21/4/2012, 10:14 am
Answer: gravity has the same force pulling down on the bullet. So if you shoot one parallel to the ground and then drop one the same height, they will hit the ground at the same time because gravity is applying equal force on both objects. The only difference is that the bullet from the gun is travailing with a horizontal speed (being fired) and a vertical speed (gravity). It would be different if say the bullet shot was shot at the ground.
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 21/4/2012, 2:59 pm
OH! The bullet is being shot parallel to the ground. I thought it was directly at the ground.. Well if it's being shot parallel to the ground, both will hit at the same time from gravity..I think anyway. You'd have to have super good timing
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 29/4/2012, 4:09 am
Answer: Both bullets hit the ground at the same time, because gravity affects them both in the same way with the same force.

Tally:

M: 1cr
Mr Wiggles: 1cr+3cr for best anwser
BluE:1cr+2cr
BlizzardVet: -

This Weeks Question:

If two cars (car A and car B) were both travelling at 100km/h, and collided with each other head on, what would be the force felt by car A.(part B of this question)What would be the force on car A if it collided with a stationary wall, travelling at 100km/h.

HINT
Spoiler:
A answer would be something like the following: Car A felt ...km in force when it hit Car B.
Also think about the transfer of kinetic (movement) energy.

mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 29/4/2012, 9:26 am
Answer: 100 km for both crashing head on into a wall and head on into another car. With the brick wall you have the 100 km of force on the car because the car moving forward stops instantly. When the cars hits another vehicle traveling the same speed but in the opposite direction almost the same effect of hitting the wall is happening, but instead of hitting a stationary wall, the cars have equal forces applying against them, so one sorta acts like a stationary object.
BliZZvET Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 29/4/2012, 5:08 pm
I have a good general idea of the answer, but im in class so ill get back to it later Smile
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 1/5/2012, 12:02 am
If car A and B are traveling @ 100kmph and they hit each other head on the force felt by each car would be 200kmph?
For hitting the wall (provided that the wall doesn't break) the car would feel 100kmph of force because of its own acceleration (the wall isn't running at you). The car actually wouldn't stop instantly as the shape of the wall would momentarily shift as the force of the car is evened out.
With the two cars hitting each other, the rate of deceleration would be greater because there is something forcing the car the other way instead of merely stopping them (like how jet planes reverse when landing to slow down faster).
G@MeF@Ce Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 2/5/2012, 4:43 pm
@1z - You have been recognized as a community member and will be rewarded 500 credits for starting the Apple Tree Competition! Over 400 hundred views, almost 50 posts, this has turned out to be a great play along for our community. +

It's fun, makes us think, and look forward to the next challenges...

^,^

Master of Diceaster?
no dice:
I'm going to delete the dice rolls...that feature is for the thunder dome only, I will share more information about it soon. Cool

@the two cars ~ are they identical?
answer:

if so car A impacts at 200mph with the oncoming car

and 100mph with the wall.
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 4/5/2012, 3:05 am
@ :gameface: It really means a lot to receive some feed back so thank you very much I really appreciate it. Also keep up the good work on the forum, it has really improved since I joined and I hope it continues doing so.
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition on 5/5/2012, 4:18 am
Answer: The force felt by car A in the car V car collision is 100km/h, because the amount of force (200km/h) has to be distributed between 2x the mass of a car. When hitting a wall the car A would experience 100km/h of force. If you have any questions post below, I think I might have not explained it clearly....

Tally:

M: 1cr
Mr Wiggles: 4cr+3cr For correct answer & best answer
BluE: 3cr+1cr discussion point
GameFace: +1cr discussion point
BlizzardVet: -

This Weeks Question:

You are running toward an object emitting sound does the sound frequency get higher or lower?
Part B: When you pass the object would the sound frequencies get higher or lower?
PS. You are travelling at a constant speed in a straight line toward (and then from ) the sound emitting object.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Chatbox system disabled
Personal messaging disabled